Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Just needs borders



Finished putting the last panel together last night and sewed all the panels together. Just need to figure what I want to do for borders...of course it's going to come from my stash. This top is made from recycled mens shirts that I bought at thrift stores. I read about this on Bonnie Hunter's site http://www.quiltville.com/ several years ago and started stopping now and then and picking up what shirts I would find. I would bring them home, wash them and store them in my cupboard. I was quite surprised to find that I had 50 shirts when I got them out to cut them apart. Needless to say it took hours to cut them apart and get strips ready for this "quick" quilt.

I've never been a fan of plaids before, in fact I really dislike the homespuns sold in the quilt stores. They are too loosely woven and rough. Good for making chenille. But men's shirts feel good and there is so much variety!
I did this fairly randomly, that is I really didn't plan it just let it happen. I do like how it has turned out. I think it will be a very usable cozy quilt, maybe I will have to use flannel for the backing. I have lots of shirts leftover so I see lots more plaid things in my future!

No comments: