Monday, March 17, 2008

Lack of Motivation

Okay, so this last weekend was national quilting day and I had a 4 day weekend...why oh why could I not get motivated to sew???? Didn't do too much I must confess but sit on my kiester and surf the web and read blogs, also watched some movies and caught up on some reading that is collecting by my chair, made some delicious apple dumplings....but not much to be proud of.


Finally, Sunday afternoon, late afternoon, I forced myself to go downstairs to my quilting room and see if I could find something productive I could do...maybe quilt the Bargello Bowl? Well started to tidy up a bit and came across this tote...it's the leftovers from 3 baby quilts I made using mary's triangle...all with different arrangements. I thought I would empty it and sort the leftovers into my strip bins....

Well, I'm pretty tired of this fabric after making 3 quilts from it, but as I started to put it away I started to challenge myself on how to use it up...make another quilt. I had lots of leftover 5 inch squares I had cut for the other quilts. For some reason when I was making the earlier quilts I just kept cutting and cutting until I cut up all the fabric. So it's pretty much all cut up into the pieces I needed for those quilts.
This is the one that I have left. I've saved it to mark my quilting progress. It was one of the earliest quilts I quilted on the HQ16....did a line dancing technique. I turned out ok, but could use some work on stitch lenght consistency....my machine does not have a stitch regulator.




I started thinking about a technique I saw on TV awhile back....a long while back! But thought I could try it with what I had leftover. So I combined the 5 inch blocks into sets of one pair and one spare....
The I cut the pair in half on the diagonal....
Next came sewing the triangle pieces onto the squares....


And then cutting them apart.....



And mixing them up and sewing them back together....and squaring them up to 6 1/2 inches

Makes a block that looks a lot more complicated than it was to make....a good thing!


Before I was ready for bed I had 12 blocks made and I now have created another unfinished project! And totally didn't make any progress on my CC or Bargello...and I WILL have them finished before I start the next quiltville mystery!


I decided I needed some more blocks so tonight I worked on making some more while I watched Dancing with the Stars. Since I didn't really want too many more blocks, but I did want variety so I tried making them with two colors of triangles on the squares, like this....


It only produced 2 quarters like I wanted so it didn't really save much time...had to sew more to get less....so I went back to making them with the same color on the outside. Now I have leftovers....it just never ends! Stay tuned to see how I plan on setting these blocks...I have an idea but gotta work the next few days so there won't be any sewing time.

1 comment:

Mary Johnson said...

I like this block - I get tired of leftovers at times too but if I toss them all in my string bins by the time I mix them up with other fabrics - I don't mind them so much.

The rainbow photo was very pretty.