Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Good Day

Today Dad came for a visit. It was good to see him again. He's been gone away south over the winter, but did get back home to enjoy about 6 inches of April snow, I hadn't seen him since before Thanksgiving. He's a big help to me. Knows how to do all kind of things...he's a do it yourself kind of guy. Maybe cause he can't bear to pay anyone to do it for him. I have to admit I am following in his footsteps. He still rides me about how much I spend....and I do spend too much, but on stuff, not someone doing something for me if I can do it myself, or Dad can do it for me! I help him sometimes too, but not nearly enough. I think that should change. He slowing down some...we are about even now...I've never had alot of get up and go...wish I had inherited that, but I've always had trouble keeping up with him when we are working.
But today I did good. He always gets here early, around 9am anyway. That's usually about the time I'm thinking of getting up on my day off. Not today, I was up about 7:45 and moving. Stripped my bed and started the sheets in the wash, vacuumed the mainfloor and downstairs, mopped the floor and cleaned my master bathroom and refreshed the other two and then started a second load of laundry. I was ready for a cup of coffee when he got here about 9:15. Why oh why can't I do this always? It wasn't that hard and it felt good. I'm going to try and give it a shot. That little bit didn't make my house clean, but good enough. I'm such a procrastinator and there is lots I would like to do around here.


Anyways, after we had coffee, we decided to do a little project. One that I had tried do a while back but ran into issues. And it took a few trips to the hardware stores and then to order on line the right size drawer glides. But I had done all that so I had all the stuff and we got to work.
A while back the upper slide out had broken and I decided that when I fixed it I was going to make a second one for the lower level, it makes it so much easier to see what you have and get at it. I need to make my storage space work for all it worth as I have so little. I did get it fixed, but never made the lower slide out. But today...Ola! Dad, he knows how to do everything! So in a few hours we got it made and installed...had to do a little problem solving there...but it's in and the stuff is put away!
The big loss of the day was that I broke one of my favorite pans when putting them away. Why oh why couldn't it have been one of those yucky pyrex pans?
And then we had lunch. Still alot of time left in the day...and I had done so much! Not at all like me. But I hadn't been on the computer all day, or had the TV on.
So we went on to figuring out some other projects I want to do, but will wait for Travis to be available. He's my 20 yr old nephew who's got muscles...and is a good worker. I'll hire him and Dad will teach him and I'll supervise and make lunch. That's how it usually is. So we looked at the plumbing job I had in mind...which I did have bid on and it was outrageous! And we looked at the fence that needs repair. So then we went to Lowe's and got all the supplies we will need. I didn't know what the plumbing would take, but it should be pretty simple. Not too many things needed. So we are all set for when Travis is finished with baseball season and college finals.
I also picked up a birdhouse and bird feeder. I'm hoping I can entice the birds that are trying to get into the side of the house next to me to make their nest in my birdhouse. Put it outside my kitchen window when we got home.
And then we had a break and visited a bit more and then he headed home. Bye, bye Dad...thanks so much for getting me off my duff! I love you!
It was just after 3 pm. So I headed off to the post office to get my mail. A few packages of stuff I bought online...yeah, yeah I buy too much. But the best was the Fons and Porter new magazine. It has several projects I want to make, especially the one on the cover! I sat down and, and well, that was kind the end of my getting stuff done. I read for a bit, was on the computer, watched the news, took a nap and then watched the Mariners game...the usual kind of stuff. I was still hoping to finish cutting step 2 of OC...guess it will wait till Saturday when we quilt at the library. Gotta think about going to bed now, have to be at work at 6:30 tomorrow morning! Night, night!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What a wonderful day with your father! I still miss mine, even though he died 20 years ago. He would always help out with any jobs that needed doing too and was a brilliant problem solver and just good fun to be around. Thank goodness for relatives that will do jobs for you - I usually rely on number one son.

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb-
Good that Dad was able to come down and help you with that drawer. Nothing like having someone come and help you out to get you motivated to clean house a little. Travis will be done in about a month to help you out, maybe sooner depending if they make the play offs. Talk to you soon.
Beth