Thursday, July 3, 2008

Stash reporting

It's been awhile since I've posted...not too much going on here. I am working on the borders for my OC...getting there...need to decide what to do for the outer border. I don't have enough red that I used in the spinning stars for the border so will have to shop my stash for something else.

The last week in June was Western Washington Shop Hop. I had decided not to participate for several reasons...gas prices, I buy too much and I don't need a thing, and I haven't made any of the blocks from the shop hop I did 2 years ago. Nonetheless, it was on my mind and I had the days off...no I didn't shop hop....but I didn't really keep myself out of the stores. Went to JoAnn's for something...which I can't remember what it was now...and succumbed to their sale. This is what I bought....
That is some 1/3 yard cuts and some fat quarters along with some cream egyptian cotton. Total 12.5 yards purchased. I didn't stop there...books were 40% off, and who can refuse those? Besides poor me wasn't doing shop hop this year....so I got these

I really wasn't feeling too guilty about it all. Saturday my group meet at the library to sew and I worked on my OC borders. On the way home I did just have to drive by Carriage Country Quilts, my neighborhood quilt shop. They were still open because of shop hop...so why not pop in? Ruth had stopped by the library and showed off some of the shop hop fabric, which, low and behold was much more attractive in person that it had been on the website. Well, maybe I'll just go and check things out....so I did and this is what I got

The main shop hop fabric in the back, a group of fat quarters of the coordinates, a yard of my favorite coordinate, and a bunch of other 1/3 yard cuts (my compromise when I have to purchase yardage and I want more than a 9 inch strip but don't want to spend for a full 1/2 yard). I do really like the shop hop fabric and I have a plan for these fabrics...so I guess it becomes a PIGS(project in grocery sack). I want to redo my main bathroom and think these colors will make a good shower curtain.

These also had to come home with me. Found them on the 50% off table. No particular reason, just seemed like the thing to do.

I'm happy with what I've bought, but it really is excess of what I need and can do. So I've decided that since I'm not making much of a dent in my stash I will find an equivelent amount of yardage to donate somewhere before the end of August. So I will be pulling at least 26 yards of fabric to find a new home. I don't think it will be hard. It's a practice I'd like to use throughout my home of excess, when I bring something new in something must go. I've been working for some time now on ridding myself of stuff I don't like being crowded with and I still have a ways to go...I need this new rule so I won't backslide where I have made progress.

I'm updating my sidebar on my fabric usage, purchase and hours spent sewing. I see I'm falling behind my goal of sewing for an hour a day so I will have to devote some more time before the end of the year. I haven't had as many completions as I thought I would, so the challenge of 5 before the end of July is spurring me on. I'm pretty certain I can get 3 done as I have a few vacation days that I will spend at home, but I will try for 5 just the same.

Just updated the numbers...I'm not as far off as I thought with the sewing hours, but I have busted only half as much stash as I've purchased! Will be continuing to work on that...the 5 finishes if I can do it will make a good dent in evening things out. I will be at least even, but hopefully with less at the end of the year. I can do it!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

"No particular reason, just seemed like the thing to do."

I like the way you shop! :-D
I like your purchases too!

Your OC looks great. I'm slowly working on the border myself.
Thank you for your comment over at my blog. :o)