Monday, August 4, 2008

It's August already!

It seems like I am just watching the days fly by. Where oh where does the time go? Maybe it's because the summer was so late in getting here. Don't have any quilting progress to photograph so here is a picture of summer from my youth when summer went on forever, so much so you were anxious for school to start. This was from 1960. I'm on the left. Wonder if those life jackets would have saved us?


I didn't make the goal of finishing 5 by the end of July...no big surprise. It was a good challenge tho, I thought alot about getting stuff done. It did prompt me to unearth most of what I have as UFO's and PIG's tho...a few surprises there.

I've been trying to get some other projects around the house done as well. I've hired Travis, my nephew, as a helper and thought it would free me up to do stuff like quilting, but it just hasn't worked out that way. We have accomplished alot too...plumbed water to my second story deck, cleaned up the yard, repaired the fence, patched the garage door, built shelves for a storage closet, washed the windows, and have been working on staining my entertainment center. Not too bad since it's been hard to mesh our schedules. Travis has done most of the work with me getting the organizing stuff done and feeding him and putting stuff away, somehow that seems to kill the day just the same. Big problem is that the summer is running out and he will be leaving for college soon and we haven't started on the project of repairing my leaking deck. That's mostly because I haven't figured out just how to do it or who to get help from or just what I want. I've spent alot of time on the computer looking for answers and in general just procrastinating making a decision.

Back to quilting tho...did my accounting for July and updated the sidebars. I did have a couple of finishes that helped to contribute to using stash, but most of it was given away. I gave away 26 yards to compensate for the yards I bought last month. It suprises me how little in yardage I used in a quilt...for example the Bargello quilt only tallied up using 6.5 yards. It's a good sized throw quilt at 58 X 75. I DIDN'T BUY ANY FABRIC IN JULY! I didn't sew for as many hours as I would have liked and I see I'm still falling behind for the year. This keeping track is really making me aware of what I really do and has made the biggest impact on my aquiring stash than anything...maybe I need to apply it to my finances...not really sure if I have shifted what I was spending on fabric to something else or not. Think not...I think it has been going to pay off credit cards but I'm going to have to start tracking that too! Any maybe eating too...maybe there really is something to that writing down everything you eat and weight loss...hmmm....

1 comment:

Mary Johnson said...

That's when I get serious about my stashbusting efforts, when I realize how few yards it actually takes to make a quilt. I could easily quilt just from my scrap bins for a couple years. Unfortunately I don't count stash used until the quilt is finished and I haven't worked on my stuff much this year because I've been busy with HeartStrings so I'm just at 50 yards for the year at this point.