Saturday, January 2, 2021

Goodbye 2020!

I didn’t post at all in 2020, in fact it’s been so long since I posted I wonder if I really want to at all. I feel the need to record the year in someway somewhere. It was the year of the pandemic...historical to say the least. The news grew old fast even in the spring with new cases and new deaths being reported every day...and we are still getting that on the last day of the year...incredibly sad the number of lives lost. We have record highs for deaths the last two days of the year...not good news!  Hope is on the horizon with the vaccine beginning to be distributed. 

The year didn’t start out bad...in January I went to California to Road2ca Quilt show with a few friends. Lots more fun with friends than previous years when I have gone alone. Took a few classes, one from Jen Kingwell and went on a bus tour that included a stop at Eleanor Burns studio and store.  Eleanor was a hoot and going strong.  Very glad to have had the opportunity to meet both of those quilters among many others.  The big event at the show was spontaneously buying a new longarm HOURS before it was time to go home!  I did include a visit to dad in Desert Hot Springs prior to the show.  

While we were in CA the first case of corona virus was reported in the US...seemed to barely make the news and was very much downplayed. Maybe that was us tho...we saw little news as we spent full days at the show 😊.

In February my Longarm was delivered and set up! There wasn’t much time to get comfortable with it as I spent many days visiting assisted living and adult family homes.  Phylis had decided that dad was too much to care for by herself.  We found a very nice assisted living facility where we thought he would have a good quality of life and set things in motion.  Feb 29th Washington became ground zero for the corona virus with an outbreak at a nursing home.  Stil, it wasn’t much of a big thing, just interesting but not affecting everyone.

The beginning of March I drove to CA with a plan to help with dad, get what we needed for assisted living set up and move him up to Washington about the middle of the month...right when the shutdown went into effect. Then things got interesting....

We had to make a plan B since the pandemic started in a longterm care facility in Washington it didn’t seem wise to move him to a large community when he was essentially in quarantine at home. He seemed to be status quo but more care than his Phylis was up to providing. Nonetheless, she agreed that it was better to postpone the move and keep him with her and use the help of a friend.  It was not ideal but seemed to be the best choice at the time. Little did we know how long we would be in this pandemic! I left California on the first of April and they left about a week later to return to eastern Washington.


Dad and I got into a routine of playing cribbage 2 to 3 times a day while I was visiting.  After lunch I'd get him to go out to the sunroom to play.  He still was sharp and winning most of the games.  Only a few times did I beat him.  He always knew the score and often helped my score along.

I tried to get him out of the house but once everything shut down that was difficult.  We took a ride to Joshua Tree National Park one day and out a couple of times for milkshakes at McDonalds.

It was a interesting drive from Palm Springs to Seattle during the lockdown. Nothing much was open for food along the way...a few drive-thru fast food places only. Gas stations had their restrooms closed. Rest areas were open and staffed and clean thankfully. I had packed food and drinks so it didn’t become a problem.   The motel I had booked for the night refused me when I got there as I was “not essential”.  I was traveling with Tula so not just any hotel would work and we ended up at a Motel 6. Traveling with Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer and keeping my distance from anyone...masks hadn’t become mandatory yet. 

Soon as I got home we made masks.  I made them with my sisters for most all the family, then made more for some special friends and more for family and myself.  Made about 150 masks and didn’t see a dent in my fabric but elastic was scarce.  Tried some alternatives like shoe ties, t-shirt strips and dollar store elastic headbands.  Masks became mandatory everywhere, many places closed, and many more people started working from home.  Restaurants initially were closed though many were able to switch to carry out. I started grocery shopping online and picking it up in the parking lot. 

May began the country upheaval with the horrendous George Floyd event.  More and more info coming to light of examples of blatant racism. Just unbelievable! May 29th began protests in Seattle for BLM that evolved into being hijacked by others with different antiestablishment agendas. Seattle was on national news for the "Free Zone" that was set up on after the police station was attacked and shutdown.  It’s a lot a heartache all around but I hope more awareness too.

Dad began having issues in June with swallowing and a growth on his cheek from the parotid gland.  He ended up being hospitalized in Davenport.  There was a brief letup of COVID restrictions as the curve seemed to be flattening and we had a weekend that we were able to visit with him.  It didn’t last and visiting was not allowed again.  

Dad was transferred to a long-term care facility in Spokane in July without contact being allowed.  He passed the day after arriving with allowance for visitation being granted less than 12 hours prior.  He did not have anyone with him due to the logistics, not only because of the distance but also constraints of the shutdown.  He didn’t deserve that, and I so regret that it happened that way.  And he didn’t have COVID, just a victim of the timing.

July was goodbye for my minivan, yet hopefully she did some good going to habitat for Humanity. I also took down the shed in the backyard and distributed its contents to the garage and giveaways.  Simplifying.

August was more of the same with some lessening of restrictions.  We had a partial family gathering in Chelan.  We spent most of together time outside on beach in our pod.  Also had 2 condos for 7 of us. It was a great refresher and time to get to know Zoe!



I also did some painting in the upstairs bedrooms, decluttering my closet, refreshing my vanity and getting new carpet installed.  I wish I could say I had completed the task, but as usual once I got the project to a usable state and there are no deadlines it has become a stalemate. On the top of my project list for the new year 😊

As we turned into fall COVID news didn’t get any better, predictions of it worsening with people moving inside seemed to come true even though we continued mask wearing and social distancing.  Definitely a fatigue of restrictions going on.  Every time I left the house the traffic and people out and about seemed like pre-pandemic levels.  I doubled down on staying home. 

At the end of September, I challenged myself to finish 14 Christmas quilts by mid-December.   I came close but lost steam when I realized we wouldn’t be having our annual gathering where I could give them away.  I did finish 11 and gift 10.  Still intend to finish a few that are in the works before I change course.   It gave me something to work on and I gained experience with my Longarm.  I started hosting zoom meetings of our quilt group which filled the gap for not being able to meet at the library.

The fall brought increased COVID cases and more shutdowns. We have continued unrest with protests and looting with no resolution on the horizon, tremendous homeless issues, unemployment and uncertainties. 

Thanksgiving was quiet with no large family gatherings.  I spent it with Beth and the boys and Zoe.  Trav and family had gotten COVID tested as did I. 

Christmas again with very limited family gathering.  I went to Marilyn’s for Christmas Eve.  Barb and Todd and Jace were also there.  We had a quiet Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas morning brunch.  The weather was windy and wet...no beach going for me.  

News Years I spent with Beth babysitting Zoe. Except for the fireworks in the neighborhood, we had a mellow evening and lots of fun with sweet little Zoe.

The contacts I’ve had have been calculated risks.  Very little public contact and only with masks and social gatherings with small numbers and with those who are practicing isolation.  No guarantees but our Western WA family contingent has not experienced any COVID infection, knock on wood 😊 We have family in other parts of the country who have not been so fortunate. My niece and family in Texas and my uncle in Virginia.  Since their cases are new, I’m praying that they are mild versions.

The year has had trials and tribulations for so many.  So much isolation, depression, anger and division. This is my accounting of how the year was for me so that I don’t forget. I thankfully did not feel the angst at having to stay home that many did.  I don’t have a particularly high need for being in groups, especially large ones and crowds.  Being home was fine, only somewhat inconvenient.  I learned to grocery shop online and do curbside pickup, other online shopping was pretty comfortable prior to the shutdown so I didn’t miss shopping.  I was able to get what I needed in limited outings being careful and making calculated risks. I learned how to zoom and now am holding weekly zoom get togethers with my quilting group.  I’ve made some progress on my home projects over the year.  The hardest part of the year has been the uncertainty.  I feel on hold with moving forward to getting a different house and moving to a sunnier climate. Since I’m ambivalent about that overall, the year really has given me a reprieve from making a decision 😊

The vaccines are here and there is hope on the horizon that we will get past this pandemic.  In any case it will be a year for the history pages and longer than we hope before we are out of the woods.


Addendum:  It’s now more than a year since I wrote this post…where does time go?  I’m just going to post it anyway.  2020 was a significant year.  


No comments: