Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Quilts completed in 2020

The year 2020 was mostly a year of pandemic and lockdowns.  I got a new longarm just before the pandemic began and had fun getting comfortable with it over the course of the year.  In September I got serious about trying to sew up my stash of Christmas fabrics as part of my decluttering project.  I started zoom sewing with my sewing group which really encouraged me to set aside time to sew.  I'm not sure if this is a complete list of things I completed in 2020, but it feels like more than I have ever done in one year.  So, in no particular order here they are.

This was a table runner that only needed binding. It ended up being the last finish of the year. I’ll look forward to using it earlier next year. I believe I started this in a class I took at the Houston International Quilt Festival the first time I went…?2001?

This is the scrappy Hunter Star. I started it as a leader ender project early in the year. In October I concentrated on it and got the top finished. It was quilted in December and gifted to Beth. The quilting was a free-motion design. It was a challenge and maybe a bit above my level, but it turned out ok and is one of my favorites. 







This is the Hope quilt.  It was made from a bundle of flannel fat quarters I won several years past. I made this quilt during the Hope quilt a long during lockdown with GE Designs. Our quilting group participated and also had zoom meeting between ourselves. It was fun sewing together but apart. I gifted the quilt to Marilynn as a housewarming gift for her new home. It fit perfectly with her color scheme and as soon as I saw her place I knew where this quilt belonged. 



The next two quilts were put together in 2019 during a retreat weekend at my house with Pam. They were the first quilts I quilted on my new Longarm in 2020.  The first one is made from leftover blocks from Orange Crush mystery.

This one was put together from some blocks that were part of a block exchange from many years ago.  I made two small lap quilts from the blocks.  One I backed with minke and took over to Dad while he was in the hospital in Spokane the summer of 2019.



Barb picked this quilt. It was put together at one of our retreats at the “Kingston” house. Great memories of retreating there with the great sound views. I love the fabrics in this quilt. I did free motion quilting on it with a holly leaf border.

  

                                                     

 

This quilt was gifted to Marilynn. It was made from a kit I purchased at the long closed Sue Rags Quilt Shop. It has a great setting for a panel. I quilted it with a pantograph with holly.




The zigzag quilt went to Connie. This was a pattern by Gudrun from GE Designs. A unique way to use strips. I had fun trying new free motion quilting techniques. 





This scrappy quilt was made from Pat Sloan’s pattern “Traffic Jam”. It was made primarily as a leader-ender. I think it turned out quite fun. It was gifted to Elissa. 




The tumbler quilt is another scrap quilt. I used the accuquilt die to cut the scraps. Mostly sewed this as a leader-ender as well. A secret way to sew two quilts at once!  This was gifted to Tammy. 




The next quilt was made from the Merrily line by Gingiber for Moda. Modern Christmas colors. I gifted this to Trav, Lauren and family. I hope the girls enjoy the animals. Another playing with free-motion and some ruler work.




This is the ugly-fungly quilt. Kind of a failure. I tried to graduate the scraps to be tree like. The best part of it is the minke backing and poly batting making it quite snuggly.  Jace accepted it just the same.




This is the quilt that I made for Nate.  Not too Christmassy, but colors he likes with deer and trees. I quilted it with a tree panto using a poly batting.  It turned out cozy.



The snowflake quilt was made as a sew a long with the Fat Quarter shop.  It is the first two color quilt I have made. I love the backing.  I’m using this for my kitchen table during the winter
  

The scrappy log cabin was cut out using the accuquilt. Lots of fabrics!  I sent this to Shawna along with Dad's southwest quilt that Marlene had started and I finished.  I think I need to make another log cabin. So classic!




I used a snowflake pantograph on the log cabin.  It's one of my favorites.


Here's a stack of some of the quilts waiting to find homes.
And Harley helping me by laying on my arm while I try to finish up this quilt.




This is a scrap floral flannel quilt that was one of the first I quilted on the LA for practice.  I used a floral pantograph.  It's nice and cozy and the quilting sure gave the quilt life.



I think that was it for 2020.  I don't think I've ever made so many quilts in one year...or rather finished as many were started in prior years.  I guess I can thank COVID19 and the shutdown for that!  Being retired doesn't hurt either.  I still have many more quilts to finish and new ones to make!

(Really wish I could remember how this blogger site worked better...can't seem to get pictures and text where I want them!  Don't know why it looks different in the draft than when published?  I guess I've got some relearning to do if I'm going to pursue continuing the blog.)







No comments: