Sunday, January 27, 2019

Hand stitching project

This is a top that I purchased off of eBay many years ago. I recently rescued it from a bin in my garage. It has twelve blocks set with sashing.

I think the blocks were made using trichem paints on an embroidery design. All the blocks are the same. I’m not sure I knew that when I was bidding. I believe I thought it was embroidered. That’s eBay.

It was all pin basted and two blocks were quilted. Initially I thought I would use it for practice on my HQ16. Well that never happened and I learned how to use the HQ16 in other ways. (Well, I’m still learning...seem to avoid that thing...story for another day)

So, in August I was starting my process of downsizing and I put it out at my garage sale along with the other 4 quilt tops I had “won” on eBay. No takers. 3 of the tops went to Goodwill, this one and another stayed behind for awhile longer.

I’m hand quilting this one. First time ever hand quilting. The original maker was using quilting thread in red and large stitches marked on the embroidery design. It just wasn’t doing anything for the quilt, in my opinion. So I’m using Aurifil 12 wt embroidery thread that I have used for redwork. Not quite a quilting stitch but not quite a big stitch either from what I can tell, but I’m happy with it. Not sure what I will do for the sashings.

I’m sure I’m breaking every rule for hand quilting. Just sort of making it up as I go. Tried using a
hoop but it didn’t work for me. It’s pin basted but I think it’s alittle sparse, I move a few extra pins to each block as I go.

Twelve blocks for the quilt. I’ve completed 5, starting #6.  I’m attempting to do at least 20 mins a day, it’s going to take a while.  I do see improvement in my work. It’s definitely not perfect but I am enjoying the process. I see myself finishing it...eventually.

The cats seem to like it. In fact Harley will come straight in from the wet and icky outside to hop in my lap when I’m working on it, dirty feet and all. I’m sure that is only because it is white...with a few paw prints. Hope it washes well!


No comments: