Monday, November 16, 2009

Sue's going away quilt

Retreat weekend is long past and although I didn't get done what I wanted that weekend the quilt has been finished and gifted. Whew! It was a hard one...I had quilters block and just could not decide how to quilt it! Here's the quilt and it's recipient...






This quilt was a group quilt project for Sue as a going away present from our quilting group. She has retired from work and is moving to Idaho. We will sure miss her! I gave each person a piece of fabric to use to make a 12.5 inch block. Five of us and VERY different results! I am amazed how it all came together in the end. That is the lesson here ... you can make very different blocks work together by using a consistent alternate block.


Madaline sewed the alternate blocks and Debbie made the borders and then I quilted and finished it.


I did some new things on this quilt...(quilting is like cooking for me, it's always a new receipe.) I changed colors of thread which I've never done in a quilt before. I started with quilting loops in the red chains with red varigated thread, then I changed to a neutral varigated and quilted the light areas with straight lines using a ruler, another first, and stitched in the ditch around the blocks, another first. Then I changed to a varigated green and quilted the green areas with straight lines like the light areas and a freehand design over all of the quilt blocks based on thier design. For example on the applique block by Sue 2 I outlined around the applique and quilted waves and hearts in the frame. I did alot of rolling the quilt back and forth and was worried that it would get distorted but it seemend to do oka, even tho at times it seemed like there was excess fabric on the top.

This is a picture of our little quilting group that meets at the library and the makers of this quilt.

From left to right: Madaline, Ruth, Sue 2, Sue 1, Debbi 1(me) and Debbie 2. We are dwindling in numbers and always open to new participants!

No comments: